Sunday 27 September 2020

Alusine Barrie - Where did my time go? - A successful week is planned!

Once you are clear about where you are headed, your time will become 10X more valuable


Am I spending time on the right things?

Someone asked me the other day what they should do to make the best use of their time and deal with their fears. Let's focus on how to make the best use of our time first as this is extremely important. 

Once we become aware of the amount of time we waste every week, it is difficult to not feel guilty about it. The amount of time we spend scrolling through Facebook, traversing WhatsApp groups, watching movies (of other people becoming successful), chatting about mindless matters etc. is time stolen from us and the kind of people we really want to become. 

But how do I have a great week this week?

The first thing I would like you to do is consider the previous week and make a note of the major activities on which you spent most of your time on. Is it watching movies, Facebook, WhatsApp, YouTube, video games, chatting about mindless matters with your 'friends' over things that don't really add value to you or them? You owe it to yourself to know where exactly your 168 hours (that's the number of hours in a week!) went. The truth is, our lives will be headed in the direction of the activities we are most engaged in. Once you do this, then ask yourself these questions:

 "Is this what I want to spend most of my time on?", "Are these activities benefitting me or the people I am engaging with?" "What kind of person do I want to become? [and] Are these activities taking me closer to this person or are they a barrier keeping me from becoming my best self?" Try to answer these questions as honestly as you can - at the end of the day you're your only judge, so judge well!

Once we are clear where our time is and checked whether this is what we desire deep down, we can now talk about having a successful week. To have a successful week, you need to have an aim for the week. Take 15 minutes (that's all) to consider your three biggest goals and ask yourself "What three things  can I do (one for each goal or however you want really) this week that will help me drive my most important goals forward and bring me a step closer to becoming the person I want to be? Have a notebook, find a diary if you  can. Once you've decided what activities you want to spend your time on, decide which day and at what time, you'll engage in each of the activities. The more specific, the better.

Once you do this, your time will become 10X more valuable. People see you and say why do you move so fast, it seems like you're always rushing to somewhere. That's what you ideally want, you're on the path to becoming your best self, all the time.  

Pro tip: spend as little time as possible doing mindless things. If you enjoy chatting about football/watching movies fine, but make sure to put a time to do that and discipline yourself!

Now go plan your week, and let me know how it went. Wish you a wonderful week!

Best regards,

Alusine Barrie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might As Well Stay Home - How Being Chronically Tired Affects your Productivity and Creativity

I used to be one of those people who would boast of how little sleep I needed, frequently working till 2-3am and waking up before 6/7am. Now...