Sunday 30 August 2020

Alusine Barrie - Three Simple Steps To Discover What You Are Really Good At


I was in a conversation with graduating university students in the past two weeks and this question came up. A young lady was asking me how she can discover what she is really good at. In this quick post, I would like to share with you what my response was, In the hope that it may help you or someone you know. 

Disclaimer: As you might already notice through my blog and other work, I am a big believer that your best outcomes as well as the key to transforming the lives of those around you lies in doing work you're passionate about. When you heart is engaged, hard work and motivation are not so difficult to generate as compared to when you're working against yourself. 

Here are my thoughts on the matter...

What do others find boring/tedious that you enjoy spending time on?

For years I have been creating videos where I teach various subjects and make them available to students and teachers through my YouTube channel, the Youth Stand's Facebook page and various groups on WhatsApp, spending mys meager earnings at a time I was not working. Second, Learning a foreign language, especially if you do not have the means to travel to the native country is a task considered too tedious for many. But, for years I have enjoyed taking on new languages (currently it's Arabic) and enjoying the hard work of speaking them. I have tried many other things such as playing football when I was young, but the task seems so tedious and I always wondered why it seems so easy and fun for my brother and my other friends. Every path involves working hard, but if you find something you enjoy/seem to do well at with little effort compared to other people, that is a pointer to what you should be doing. 

Poll your friends - they might blow your mind like mine did

I did this myself once and the results blew my mind. I was watching a video on YouTube when someone suggested polling my friends. So, I called in two of my closet friends at the time and asked them two questions:

"We've been to school, worked and studied at college together. I am thinking about what I am really good at and should focus on. I am asking you because I trust you and would like to you help on this. the only rule is you have to be honest with me." Once they agreed, then I asked them the following questions, listened (without judgement) and made notes. I reminded them that the second question is even more important. 

1. What three things would you say I am really good at/you like about me?

2. What three things do you think I need to improve/change if I am reach my highest potential?

To be honest, I only polled two of my friends (10 people were recommended), but what they had to say has been of so much help to me in a way I cannot express. They highlighted strengths I've always exhibited and they admired in me that I never knew and made me realize some of my biggest weaknesses and areas I need to improve to reach my fullest potential. What they told me that day has since been on my mind and taken into consideration whatever I am doing. The key is in talking to people you really trust and making sure you remind them to be honest with you. 

Try a lot of things - you might just stumble upon your talent

This is one of those simple concepts that can change your life. The truth is that only a few of use are lucky enough to discover what we are talented at a young age. We may have shown these things when we were little, but due to society, we were forced to move on to other paths. For most of us, we have to discover what we can be truly good at. The best way to do this in my view is to try a bunch of different things. The younger you are, the more important this is for you. If you don't know what you are really good at/enjoy doing, don't rush to settle upon a career path, by trying different things you will discover it. 

This doesn't always have to come from you though. For instance, when I graduated from high school, I was set to go into law/economics straight away. However, I was given the opportunity to go to teacher training college. At first, I didn't want to, event thought most of my volunteer times during school were teaching! I can say I was mostly listening to society telling me to become a lawyer. After a great deal of stubbornness, I agreed and that has since been the path that's given me the most meaning and enjoyment.

If you're older, don't lose hope. A great way of going about this is to consider aspects of your job/career that you seem to enjoy the most and work towards being as close to these as possible. You can also engage your manager/employer about this so that they may help find you these opportunities. This is what that employer should ideally want. Organizations incur many material and immaterial costs when employees hate their jobs/find them boring.


I hope this helps you in your quest to discover what you are truly good at. 

#Empowered Young People Really Can Transform Africa#

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight. So many of us are still navigating what we should focus on as a career and if we truly have passion for that path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much brother. Your narratives are very much inspirational and I appreciate you 🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro, hope all is well on your side. Thanks for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete

You Might As Well Stay Home - How Being Chronically Tired Affects your Productivity and Creativity

I used to be one of those people who would boast of how little sleep I needed, frequently working till 2-3am and waking up before 6/7am. Now...