Friday 12 June 2020

Sierra Leone has COVID-19 and all its many problems. Do Black Lives really matter to us right now? (forgive the sarcasm)


Thank you Sierra Leonean-Americans for enlightening me this past weekend about the brutal and subtle yet pervasive reality of racism against black people in America.
While countless numbers of people the world over (black as well as white) far removed from the immediate vicinity of George Floyd's death are out in the streets, getting together in halls and social media platforms pushing for justice and an end to the clearly racist killing of black people in the world’s most famous democracy, there are some who think this is the time to remind us that we’ve got problems too and must focus on those. Others choose to say “but, oh there are some good white people too”.

Well, to be honest with you, if had not had the opportunity to be invited by my partner to attend an event organized by Americans (black and white) born and or living in Sierra Leone to seek justice for George Floyd's death and the deaths of so many black people in the hands of the police, I might have ignorantly been among these people who think we should focus on our own problems and remind people about my ‘good’ white people experiences. Even though my partner (who’s Sierra Leonean American) in so many conversations explains how blatant and pervasive the reality of race is, I never grasped its seriousness and effects as I did this pas weekend. The list of countless names of black people killed by the hands of police in 2015 alone couldn’t fit the two large-sized papers displayed on the pillar! The event was a blasting realization of my ignorance about race, helped me recollect the moments I have experienced racism (here in my own country). But above all, I learned from the many people who expressed their sadness about this injustice.

After a 8 minutes and 46 seconds of silence (this was how long those three white police officers were kneeling on George’s neck back and knees) and calls for justice, a microphone (wiped clean every time btw to avoid spread) was passed around for attendees (seating 6 feet away from each other) to express their views on the matter of race in America. Many people spoke, expressing their encounters with racism in America, their constant worries about their children, of their brothers being arrested (the stereotype that black men are a threat), their experiences in American embassies being yelled at under the sneering looks of white people scrutinizing their fit to get US visas, the experiences of a black girl being told by her white friend that they could no longer play together because her white parents say they can’t play with the black girl etc. etc. I had something to say myself at the moment, to remind them about how they could start making a change here in Sierra Leone (where a lot of racism exists) but I didn’t need to say it, they all knew. Instead my chattering muffled away and I finally started to listen, intently.

People where not just being sad and grumbling by the way, they were suggesting ways to tackle this important matter. In my broad recollection of their contributions, the solution is two part; work hard to actively participate in voting to put the right people in the right places as those elected will eventually be making the laws. Second, become aware of racism in your home, in your parenting, and in your workplace and stop and correct racist acts (small and big) directed towards anyone – shame racism everywhere you see and feel it (both in your words and in your actions). One key thing I also learned was the importance of not patronizing the ‘oppressor’ – who are clearly the white people condoning and promoting racism and benefiting from its privileges.

Among the many suggestions, one that I really liked was from one lady who showed us a book of values she put together that she uses with her children to teach them about values such as respect and love for everyone. I think this was beautiful and profound since children get schooled into racism and accepting (if not participating) in it during childhood in their own families.

So, my word to you is this, Sierra Leone has its many problems some old some new including Covid-19. But we should never detract attention from a matter of such importance by drawing these parallels. It is not that these problems are not real and affecting us, but drawing these parallels will only serve to take attention from this big problem our society faces.  We as African, should actually know better…

Shame racism everywhere you see and feel it.
Thank you all for enlightening me about racism…

Thanks,
Alusine Barrie.

2 comments:

  1. This touched me and I have learnt a lot. I remember my training at Grow Salone where trainers asked us to write down our values and paste them in our room; to remember and reaffirm what truly matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Foday. You're right, it's shoclking how we school children about what to and what not to value in the micro space of the home.

    ReplyDelete

You Might As Well Stay Home - How Being Chronically Tired Affects your Productivity and Creativity

I used to be one of those people who would boast of how little sleep I needed, frequently working till 2-3am and waking up before 6/7am. Now...