Thursday 14 November 2019

Hey mama, how are you doing?



It’s Friday and I have to say I’ve been thinking about you all day
It’s your son; I know I’m in here
In your heart, the safest place in the universe
Thank you for sharing your body with me and
For making me your heart a warm bed even in the harshest winters
                                              
Baba can rest in peace
And not be so worried that he went too soon
For you have made a perfect mother and father
Like a hen, you shielded your chicks with your last breath
Thank you for the battles you fought with all the hawks and witches of the world

I cherish the stories you used to tell us about how in those long nine months
Hassanatu and I would kick on your belly and all you could do was rub you huge tommy and smile
As you longingly wait for our arrival
You would go on and on talking to us as if we were already here
People would laugh and ask “What’s happening with this woman? She’s talking to herself!”
They thought you were crazy
You thought they were crazy too

In your old age, your battle scars shine brighter than gold
For Like the mother eagle, you flew the million miles to battle
For our million mile list of desires
I can remember your smile, when even in your sweat and thirst and empty stomach
You watched us scavenge our way through the food you made us

Thank you also for teaching us how to fly
Through the high tides and rough winds of life
Your role model and teachings are the strong wings on which I flap
Thank you mama,
For your love never goes away,
You’re the queen of my heart
Any other woman can only ever share that space with you….

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might As Well Stay Home - How Being Chronically Tired Affects your Productivity and Creativity

I used to be one of those people who would boast of how little sleep I needed, frequently working till 2-3am and waking up before 6/7am. Now...