Friday 30 November 2018

Words are powerful. ‘A promising boy’, she wrote.


At the time of our birth we don’t know just yet what school is or what purpose it will serve in our lives, we do not know the meanings behind the numerous expressions on the faces and sounds of people surrounding us, we do not have a sense of limits or boundaries. For us, the world is a fascinating sea of possibility, constantly feeding our curious minds.
Soon we start school; we meet a new world with its own rules and processes. We learn to see our teachers like our parents. Their approval can bring us smiles, praises and tight hugs from adults at home and from our peers. They seem to know more about what we are capable of and what we should and shouldn’t do. Their words get to echo throughout our lives, shaping our thoughts and choices in ways we can't imagine. When they show up, they can either give us a sense of possibility or a sense of limit. Their words and emotions become the foundation upon which our self-esteem and self-image are built.
I don’t remember much about primary school. However, I do remember the words ‘A promising boy’ a teacher once wrote on my school report card, as they somehow continue to show up in my mind. I was in year 5, and the teacher was a young Mrs Lation (we called her ‘Si Fatty’ – a short way of saying Miss Fatmata). She knew I came from a poor family and she would always treat me kindly and often chatted with me during breaks. It is a long time since I left primary school, yet her words on my report card at the end of that year have always stayed in my mind and reminded me that I was capable of things. This is especially true when I try new things or when I faced challenges (or when the words of other adults and peers show up in my mind).  Her words and those of others have influenced my self-belief, the way I see the world and my sense of what is possible.
A decade after these words, I worked with teachers across the country, helping improve the quality of teaching and learning received by thousands of children. Mrs Lation had grown to become the head teacher of the school and she and some of my other teachers in primary school were participants in the trainings. She expressed how proud she was to see the work I was doing. She may not even remember she wrote those words 15 years ago or understand the extent to which they may impact my life, but they did. This is the power of words.
I have had the opportunity of meeting many people whose words have profoundly impacted my life. I have learned that words can be very powerful. I have become particularly conscious of my words to others, especially to children, helping them see a sense of possibility and encourage them to continue to be curious.
Our words give us a great opportunity to inspire others. When we use them to encourage and empower others (our colleagues, friends, family and students), we do not only help those people, we make society better. You do not have to be a teacher to use the power of your words to empower others. This opportunity to make a difference is readily available to us in many forms throughout the day. As adults, we have to be especially careful of our own emotions and reactions, as they impact the words and actions we use. These words and actions often go on to impact others in profound ways. Your words are powerful; they can change the course of someone’s life and impact society. Choose to empower someone.
The last time we met, Mrs Lation told me she was soon going to retire from teaching, but her words will forever continue to live. Thank you Si Fatty. 

1 comment:

You Might As Well Stay Home - How Being Chronically Tired Affects your Productivity and Creativity

I used to be one of those people who would boast of how little sleep I needed, frequently working till 2-3am and waking up before 6/7am. Now...